I’m a long-term freelancer, which means I’m always looking for great clients and interesting projects. Please contact me through the form provided in the sidebar to the left (or at the bottom of the page if you’re using a mobile device/tablet).
The best reason to work with me: Almost all of the publishers and editors I’ve worked with have come back to me for repeat assignments. I’ve done four books for the Mountaineers, five books for W.W. Norton, three books for Alpha/Penguin, and I’m on my second book for Rizzoli. I wrote a dozen cover and feature stories for Backpacker; had a column that ran for seven years in Scouting magazine, was a contributing editor for Gorp.com (and when Gorp was incorporated into Away. com, Away asked me to continue on with a stint as a subject expert).
I don’t always have an appropriate second or third book or article for any given publisher — but virtually every editor I’ve worked with in magazines, books, and online media has said “What else can you do for us?”
So check out my book page — you can follow the links to Amazon, where you can read samples. On the magazine page, you’ll find sample articles. Or visit the awards page or the book reviews page, where you can read what critics have said.
I know you’re looking for more than good writing. I spent the first seven years of my career as a book and magazine editor, which means that I know what’s going on on your side of the table.
Here’s what I offer:
- I’m professional, thorough, and broadly educated.
- I understand research and sourcing.
- I produce clean copy.
- I delight in working with editors who can help bring out the best in a story.
- I’ll deliver on time, with Is dotted, Ts crossed, and facts checked.
- I’ll show you something you haven’t seen before.
- A solid social media presence with more than 10,000 followers on various platforms and a Klout score of more than 60.